When police are called because one person is assaulting or threatening another person, it is not a domestic disturbance, an incident or a fight. It is domestic violence. These “myths” continue in the recent numerous reports about George Zimmerman. Check out this news release from the National Network to End Domestic Violence.
Archives for November 2013
Each year ICADV honors people throughout the state who are outstanding in their work to help victims of domestic violence. This year we even added two awards that are only given in years in which there are exceptional examples of such work. Here is the list of people to whom the awards were given on October 30 at the annual ICADV conference:
- Courage to Make a Difference Award given posthumously to Officer Rod Bradway, accepted by his widow Jamie Bradway
- Empowerment Award to Abbey Doyle and Scott Miley of the Anderson Herald Bulletin
- Outstanding Volunteer Kate Jones, Eastern High School, Pekin
- Outstanding Domestic Violence Professional Beth Murphy Beams, Center for Nonviolence, Ft. Wayne
- Outstanding Preventionist Cierra Olivia Thomas-Williams, Bloomington
- Outstanding Medical Professional Barb Bachmeier, Center of Hope, Indianapolis
- Outstanding Batterers’ Intervention Program Professional Jon Kuss, Hoosier Hills Pact, Salem
- Outstanding Prosecutor Eric Overpeck, Hamilton County Prosecutor’s Office
- ICADV Volunteer of the Year Lauren Parmley
ICADV compiled this toolkit to provide organizations interested in convening youth councils with sample forms, agendas, materials and advice about lessons that we’ve learned along the way in our experience working with youth. We hope that these materials will provide a helpful starting point, and that you’ll be able to modify them to fit the needs and interests of the youth in your community.Click here to get started.