Vision: ICADV pursues a vision where all people engage in healthy relationships characterized by the mutual sharing of resources, responsibilities and affection; where youth are nurtured with those expectations; and where all people are supported within a society committed to equality in relationships and equity in opportunity as fundamental human rights.
Mission: ICADV works for the prevention and elimination of domestic violence – until the violence ends.
Action: ICADV works to eliminate domestic violence through the implementation of prevention programs and public awareness in communities and schools, through advocacy for system and societal change, and through the influencing of public policy and the allocation of resources.
Philosophy: ICADV believes that violence is endemic to our society. We believe patriarchal values and attitudes support and perpetuate violence and we seek to confront the roots of that violence within ourselves and within larger economic, social, and political systems.
- We believe in the right of all persons to live without fear, oppression, or sexual, emotional, or physical abuse.
- We believe domestic violence is the use of force or threat to achieve and maintain control over others in personal relationships.
- We believe domestic violence is preventable.
- We believe batterers should be held accountable for their actions.
- We believe in inclusiveness and respect for diversity.
- We believe in the empowerment of individuals to achieve self-determination.
- We believe the elimination of domestic violence is best achieved by using a multi-faceted approach.
- We believe that while the majority of victims of domestic violence are women and children, everyone is affected by it and the solution involves everyone.
- We are committed to the ideas and practices of a supportive, non-competitive atmosphere within ICADV, which fosters open communications, respect, and cooperation among all members of the coalition.Revised 1-10-12
Approved by Board of Directors and adopted 4-20-12